~New Delhi witnessed a unique first of its kind Northeast India’s concert featuring 7 talented bands from each seven state of Northeast~
New Delhi: As a part of their 7×7 music project, BASIC, a non-profit organisation organised a unique first of its kind musical event in New Delhi on 2nd November 2013. The concert featured all the seven bands from each of the seven states of Northeast India who are part of BASIC’s ‘7×7’ musical project, the album of which was launched earlier this year, on the theme of ‘youth & drug abuse’. It not only showcased the diverse musical talents the region is known for, but also created awareness and sensitised the youth to the myriad drug abuse related problems that have devastating and far reaching effects.
The following bands from the seven states of Northeast India, featured in the album, enthralled the crowd – The Vinyl Records from Arunachal Pradesh, Axis from Assam, Alien Conspiracy Theory from Manipur, Frisky Pints from Mizoram, Afflatus from Meghalaya, Abiogenesis from Nagaland and Borkung Hrangkhawl from Tripura. During their performances each band gave out messages on the issues of ‘youth and drug abuse’ and encouraged the youth to stay away from drugs. Each band for the first time in public performed their songs exclusive to ‘7×7’ music album.
7×7 music album features seven songs from each band – Coco Bomb by The Vinyl Records; River Runs Deep by Axis; Reclaim by Alien Conspiracy Theory; Straight from the Heart by Frisky Pints; Over the Wall by Afflatus; Say No to the Deceiver by Abiogenesis and Power by Borkung Hrangkhawl.
Mr. Elvis Khevito Lee, Executive Director, BASIC said, “We are overwhelmed by the response we got from people. The crowd turnout was really great. So many youth coming out to support and join the Cause in the national capital city is an encouraging sign and big step towards achieving 7×7 aims. Music, being a universal language and one of the most powerful tools to reach out to the youth, BASIC took up the 7×7 music project and now our focus would be to keep the music going on and bring healing and find solutions to the issues of youth & drug abuse with its help.”
7X7 is a sincere attempt to take a step towards bringing healing, and to try finding solutions to the issues of drug abuse. The burning issue of drug abuse in most of the states of Northeast India calls for an urgent attention and active response from everyone who care and desire to bring change. BASIC aims to make drug abuse issue and especially the need of people who are into substance abuse a state concern on priority basis. The matter has not got the attention it needs and every state should take it seriously on a war front to address it.
Some of the messages the seven bands shared on the issue
- Abiogenesis from Nagaland – “Abiogenesis is a pioneer in the region to organize concerts/ festivals for awareness on narcotics and drug abuse. The meaning of Abiogenesis says it all – ‘To reactivate the dead cells’. When Abiogenesis was formed many peer musicians were into narcotics which we felt that they were more or less ‘living dead’ so we decided to take up the cause to combat against it and found it apt to give the name ‘Abiogenesis’ to the band.”
- Borkung Hrangkhawl from Tripura – “We Should Know Whom We Mingle With and What Kind Of Company We Keep. It Matters a Lot. Drug doesn’t lead to anything good. It just harms your Body and we should not forget Our Body is A Temple of God. So we need to Praise the Almighty by Body and by Spirit.”
- Alien Conspiracy Theory from Manipur – “You don’t just harm yourself with drug abuse, the toll is also on your immediate surrounding – people close to you and eventually the whole society. Like it or not, people who are addicts or for that matter even criminals are a part of the society. They are either misguided or mistreated at some point and are in pain and suffering. Casting them out like lepers is never the solution. The society needs to welcome and include victims like them and make them feel that they belong and help them find a purpose to live. We also need to be quicker at caring and slower at pointing fingers.
- Frisky Pints from Mizoram – “Do something productive all the time. Try playing the guitar or singing. Just don’t waste time and leave your mind empty. Stay strong and remember there’s a God above you who loves you and cares for you. So find help and try to escape drugs.”
- Afflatus from Meghalaya – “Drug abuse is always hard to deal with. Societies across the globe are dealing with this problem. Honestly, the only way to really deal with these problems is to get to the root of it. Why do youth get into substance abuse so much? Once the causes are identified, it becomes easier to solve the problem at the root, preventing it altogether before it actually takes off.”
- Axis from Assam – “Let us all join our hands together and stand in the frontline and fight this battle with patience and faith, for through Him all things are possible.”
- The Vinyl Records from Arunachal Pradesh – “Drug abuse = Prison or death and then there is life. You choose, there are so many worlds to see. Live drug free to live happy & healthy.”
Through 7×7 music album sale BASIC is trying to raise fund to support people affected by drug abuse with special focus on HIV+ orphans. The worst sufferers and victims of drug abuse are mostly not the drug users but people around them especially family. Creating awareness and equipping people with proper knowledge to handle the issues will go a long way in combating drug abuse issues.
7×7 music album is now available in many outlets across various states. Please contact BASIC team for further information or to promote and buy the CD.
BASIC (Be Aware, Support, Inform & Care), a non-profit organisation is an answer to a quest a group of friends had that resulted from daily and casual discussions on various issues and problems that plague our society. Awakened to the need of people around us, they felt an impending need to do whatever they can to be agents of change. It desire to make people aware of the issues that society live with, garner support from people to tackle these issues, inform people of ways and means to tackle the issues whilst caring for all of God’s creation by serving with a heart of love and inculcating an attitude of stewardship.
BASIC’s Mission is ‘To create positive social change and build a just and equitable society’.
Contact BASIC at:
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.b-a-s-i-c.org
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/basicteampage
Elvis Khevito Lee @ +91-89668516/+91 9811369216: email@example.com
Maivio J Woba @+91 9873094566; firstname.lastname@example.org